Friday, August 16, 2013

Do what you think feels best

(Warning: Vulgar language)
These Guys have really given me motivation, as well as laughs, with their advice to take or leave.

To start things off, I understand that our parents want the best for us but honestly don't have much relation to how things work today. I love my mom and dad very much, but they don't live in the same generation as with how jobs happen and that work experience is better most other factors.

To keep it simple:
  • College today isn't seen as important as it was in the 50's - 80's
  • Jobs that I interviewed for, focused on experience rather than my college background
  • Keeping a positive attitude in the workplace is highly valued
  • and being confident in your ability sets you apart from the rest
I sought advice from my cousin who made the most drastic changes in his life. Went from Houston to LA,  then Hawaii, to then a section where he didn't go into much detail, and finally ended up in Hollywood (not as an actor mind you). He says it about knowing what you want and how you want to get there despite others telling you otherwise.

He's 13 years older than me, but even then his generation had a similar requirements for jobs just like this generation. It was all about experience and not about the school. He mentioned that living near USC and UCLA, he sees kids right out of college not know what to do when the real world hits.

His advice was basic but strong:
  • Find a way to become independent
    • Don't rely on anyone to help you
    • leave your comfort zone
    • you need to struggle to know what it is you want
  • Go somewhere that you truly want to be (try things out and learn)
    • i.e "if you live in Houston but want to go to LA, move to LA"
    • you will come to understand what suits your wants
    • focus on adapting to change
  • And in the end, do what makes you happy
Trying to apply this is probably one of the hardest things I'm doing, but if it doesn't work out for me, all I know is that I wasn't a strong enough individual to begin with.

Like the Hodgetwins say:




"At the end of the day,

YOU CAN DO WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT TO DO!"







No comments:

Post a Comment